Monday, August 13, 2012

Dehydrating our Bounty and Smoothie Recipe, tips

So today I started storing some of our bounty. I sliced some tomatoes and dehydrated them for "sun dried" tomatoes. I cut them 1/8 inch thick for the first batch but think this is too thin once they shrink down. I did some apples also that we had picked last week at a "pick your own" farm. They're a little pliable still which I like and the punky boy loves them. I also did the rest of the grapes for raisins, so we are done for the year with them. Punky loves raisins and the are a staple in my purse for him along with soaked, dehydrated almonds. He also loves these pouches that I get for him. I use them for emergencies, they're organic fruit and veggies pureed. I don't want to stop at a fast food place because I'm unprepared for snacks.  He is a typical 3 year old and doesn't eat as many veggies just by themselves so I sneak them into his food. Last night for "dessert" we had a green smoothie. He never balks at a smoothie and it's a great way to get greens and veggies in him.

Green Smoothie:

1/2 bunch kale (about 6-8 leaves if you grow your own)
1 peeled zucchini rough chopped
1-2 cups mixed frozen fruit
1-2 frozen banana's
2 cups water
2 tablespoons hemp seeds
1 handful of almonds
1 T stevia powder or more to taste

When you go to make one of these put in the water first, then the ingredients as they are listed. This way the greens get blended really well and everything moves nicely. I have a Vita mix and you really do need a high powered machine for really smooth, creamy smoothies. It was one of the best investments I have ever made hands down. We use it daily and sometimes several times a day. I do a frozen strawberry, cream and stevia ice cream in 3 minutes that beats any strawberry ice cream easily. I also use it for making almond milk and soups etc. My husband and I pooled our money from Christmas one year that everyone had given us and then we used the Vitamix as the present for both of us from eachother too.

Homestead tip:

Use zucchini and other veggies in smoothies with the fruit. Also an important tip,  you have to use either a banana or avocado to make a smoothie creamy and smooth that stays together and won't seperate. Compost the peels.

Bonus tip: I saw on a blog the other day but can't remember who's sorry, freeze blended kale in ice cube trays for the winter if you can't use up fast enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment